The holdiays were great, crazy, but great! I was supposed to have off from Christmas Eve until this coming monday, but I ended up having to work almost all day on monday and a few hours tuesday and wednesday. That's okay, it just means I can take some time off this week - which is great because my friend had her baby boy 2 weeks early on wednesday 12/30!!! So I can go over to her house to help her out this week over my lunch hour and I won't have to rush back to work :) She lives about 10 mins from my work, so once her H goes back to work I'll be able to go over and give her a hand so she can at least take a shower and get a few minutes of "me time" every day :)
On Wednesday afternoon I was at my Gyno's office (regular annual exam) when her sister called letting me know she was in the hospital. I was so so freaking excited my BP went through the roof I think, I was just so shocked, I didn't think he'd come out before new years. I walked back to the exam room beaming like I was the grandmother or something and telling everyone my friend was in labor right now! haha, I'm such a sap! Her sister called again as I was checking out and asked if I could come to the hospital and relieve her friend who was watching her baby in the waiting room since her friend had to go to work. I said of course, so I left and went right to the hospital. Turns out her sister's friend's car keys were in her sister's purse in L&D so her sister's friend and I both stayed in the waiting room. We didn't have to wait too long, 2 hours after I got there little Weston joined the world at 4:42 pm at 6lbs 13.5 oz and 21" long! :)
I got to go back and see my friend about 30 mins later and stayed with her and her sister and her H until she got moved up a floor to the Mother/Baby area. I helped them carry the stuff upstairs and I wanted to stick around to see the baby and he was brought into her room about 15 mins later. Then the guests started arriving. I just sat back and listened/watched and just hung out. It was such a neat experience, even if I wants in the room, just see the emotions roll across her face and witness all of those little "first moments". Total amazing! I was finally getting ready to leave around 8pm until my friend realized I hadn't held him yet. I was letting everyone enjoy their moment with the new baby, I wasn't about to take him from anyone (I pride myself on not being a baby hog even though I'd love to be one!) :) but she was going to strap me in the chair and not let me leave until I held him. He's the youngest child I've ever held at not even 4hrs old. So amazing!!
Then thursday (new years eve) we ended up having a snow storm in the morning so I didn't get over to the hospital like I had promised, but apparently she had a ton of visitors. After my H got home from work we made our way over around 7:30pm to help them ring in the new year (my H and friend's H are best friends, so my H was really the first male friend to go over to see them and I think it made her H feel good) :) well the baby was definitely fussy/gassy and my friend was definitely emotional - plus we were tired and it was sleeting/snowing out so we ended up leaving around 10:30 to let them rest and we just headed up to celebrate with our dog :) But we did bring some wine along and had poured ourselves and the nbew daddy a little wine to celebrate. well the nurse was in checking the baby's vitals and we were packing up to head out. Me trying to be all stealthly tried to put my H's empty cup under my cup that had like an inch of wine left but when I moved my hand away my sleeve caught the edge of the cup and I spilled wine all over the hospital room floor. I was so shocked/embarrassed/mortified/guilt ridden - I probably turned 8 shades of red, I thought I was going to get thrown out it reeked of wine in there, I felt awful! me of all people, who barely ever drinks and is super careful about everything spilled the wine. Well the nurse cracked a smile and when I said to my H to get me some paper towlles she said "take a real towel, it's okay" - haha! I mean she HAD to smell it! so I cleaned it all up real fast and shoved the towel in my bag. I wasn't about to stuff a wine soaked towel in her laundry bag so it could smell up her whole room. What a night! haha!
Then yesterday they got discharged and got to go home!! I waited until after dinner to head down to her house. I wanted to help if they needed anything, but her in-laws were all there (who was the awesomest people in the world and like a surrogate family to me and my H - hell we even celebrated Christmas eve with them - but that's a whole other post!)
After they left and the baby ate, my friend went to take a shower and her H went to make the bed so I held the baby. he did good for about 15 mins and then he just started wailing. the poor thing was tooting something fierce so he defintely has some gas going on but he would not settle down. After her H came back down I gave the baby to him to let him try to calm him down and he sat by the dryer (they keep their house on the cool side) and he thought the heat might help. The baby calmed down to the a whimper and then her H looked up and saw the boppy on the dryer, so he placed the baby in the boppy and he was out like a light - it was nearly instanenous!!! it was Genius! :) between the vibration, the white noise and the heat, the baby was out like a light!
so now today I'm waiting for the call to come over. I know her H wants to go grocery shopping (I offered, but I think he wants to get out of the house) and I'm gonna help him take their tree and garland down and whatever else they need done. I'm sure she's going to get a ton of visitors today as the weather isn't bad, and it's a saturday so people have off.
I promise to post pics, I just didn't download them yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment