March 18, 2010

A Warning: blog subject will be shifting

I have so much to talk about, but sadly none of it is a TTC update. Until I decide if I want to start a dedicated gardening blog I'm going to be doing a whole lot of "dirt talk" on this one. I have become nearly as engrossed with gardening research as I ever was with TTC. I think the 2 subjects have a lot in common, how do I get it grow, what to do to take care of it so it will thrive, how do I handle the fine line between becoming ultra obsessed and smothering vs. showing it the appropriate amount of attention. In the above sentence "it" can refer to either a baby or a plant. (and coincidentally, they both grow up in nurseries)

Gardening really does take my mind off TTC. I can get lost for hours outside and never get tired of examining each green leaf (usually trying to decide if it's a weed or a plant). And I can read gardening books well into the night, long after Chris has gone to bed. I can read and re-read the same plant description over and over and still get something new out of it every time. I can plan and re-work that plan in my brain and still make changes once I go to put a shovel in the ground.

I have so much to learn. I am constantly mispronouncing plant names as I try to get to know the latin names behind them. I'm trying different methods of propagation. I love experimenting. I hate killing things, but I love seeing how far I can push the "rules". I love getting my hands dirty. I wiping the sweat off only to come inside, look in the mirror and see the "war paint" across my forehead. I always laugh at myself. I love my pruners, I love making my plants look nice.

I love cottage gardens, I love seeing all the different colors and heights and textures, when one thing dies off another springs up and brings a whole new look to the garden. it's always changing, never stagnant. it never looks the same 2 days in a row. I love having everything stuffed in there so there's really no need for mulch. I love finding something new and exciting at a nursery and coming home and finding the perfect spot for it.

I love giving plants that would otherwise be shovel pruned and tossed in the trash a new home and new chance at life. they rarely disappoint.

I have so many pictures to put here to start documenting my garden transformation from brown nothingness to green waves of wonder....if that sounds like fun to you then stick around as I take you on a tour of my yard through the seasons. I didn't have much to work with when we first bought the house so every year there have been some major changes. this year will be no different :)

(oh, for reference to those that don't know where I live, I'm in Eastern Pa, borderline hardiness zone 5a/6b. I always try to get plants that are hardy to at least zone 5 - like I said, I hate killing things).

1 comment:

  1. I can help you with the Latin pronunciations.
    :-D
    Jess

    ReplyDelete