March 29, 2010

Life in the garden (early March)

I'm debating how I want to set this up. I thought about showing each plant's progress through the month but I realized that might get a little too confusing for me and I just don't think I have that kind of time.

So I think I'll just post pictures in the order I took them and hopefully you (and I) can follow the progress.

Let's start in early March. I first decided to grab my camera when I noticed the 1 crocus in my yard start to bloom.
This happens to be in my "bulb bed". This bed has sounthern exposure and 6+ hours of sun a day, especially in the early spring before the big silver maple (the bain of my gardening existence) leafs out. We have a deck immediately to the left of this bed and that provides shade from the late afternoon sun. In here I planted some Hyacinths, Tulips, Daffodills and some Asiatic Lillies. I also have Siberian Irises (even though they're not bulbs)

Moving around the yard I found my foxglove had survived the winter. I bought this plant last year at Russell's Wholesale Nursery, Willow Grove, Pa.
I researched this plant and found out that it's supposed to be a perennial but many foxgloves are bienneal and I was worried that this wouldn't come back. There is fresh new growth in the middle of the gross brown foliage.


Digitalis lutea - Straw Foxglove - New Growth

I also found that some of the 50+ daffodil bulbs I planted last year had started to break through the mulch
I don't recall all the different kinds I planted, some are single colored, some are bi-colored and some are Double two-tone blend. The are all from Lowes though, purchased and planted last fall.

Narcissus - Daffodils
In the West Side shade bed I found the White Bleeding Heart that I bought last year coming up. This is an herbaceous perennial meaning it dies back to the ground and regrows from the roots every spring.

Dicentra spectabilis - Bleeding Heart
A few feet away I found My Newst Favoritest Plant coming back - it's common name is lungwort, not thebest name but it's a cutie (just wait for more picutres, you'll see!)


Pulmonaria saccharata - new growth

(all pictures were taken from 3/6 through 3/11/10)
Up next - pics from 3/14 through 3/17 - things really start to pop up!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting to see all the new life sprouting before your eyes. I too love the bleeding heart. I had one but I it didn't come up last year. A squirrel must have eaten it or dug it up. Enjoy your garden!

    ReplyDelete